A proud past, a bright future
Established in 1896, Engle-Hambright & Davies, Inc. — now EHD — has its roots in the Lancaster, Pennsylvania law firm of William B. Given. It was here that Christian Engle began negotiating the preparation and sale of insurance contracts. Mr. Engle left the firm in 1906 to join the Lancaster Real Estate Company. In 1918, he and William T. Hambright changed the company’s name to Engle and Hambright, incorporating that company in 1934.
After the addition of Robert F. McMurtrie (Mr. Engle’s son-in-law) and Edward F. Jaeger in 1937, the main focus of the firm shifted from real estate to insurance. The company eventually became Engle-Hambright & Davies, Inc., known today simply as EHD.
Since the early 1970s, EHD has opened and/or acquired nine additional insurance agencies in strategic areas of Pennsylvania. These have evolved into EHD’s four current branch offices located in Exton, Lancaster, Pittsburgh and Wyomissing.
At EHD, we’re proud of our history and heritage, and equally proud of continuing to operate as a privately held and independent company, as we have since 1896. EHD is now one of the largest and most reputable full-service insurance brokers in the United States. By continuing to focus on and be committed to our two primary constituents – our clients and employees – EHD is poised for further dramatic growth well into the future.